Dr. Suat İrfan Günsel (born August 3, 1952 in Paphos, Cyprus) is a Turkish Cypriot entrepreneur, businessman and founder of the Near East University. In 2011, Forbes ranked him as the 2nd richest person in Cyprus and the 1,140th richest person in the world with a net worth of $1 billion.
Personal and Business life
Günsel, the Founding Rector of the Near East University, is married with three children.
Günsel received honorary doctorates from following universities:
* 2010 Komrat University, Moldovia
* 2010 Azerbaijan State University, Azerbaijan
* 2011 Izhevsk International Eastern European University of Republic of Udmurtia, Udmurt Republic
Awards and Prizes
Some awards and prizes given to Dr. Suat Günsel are as follows;
* August 2009, awarded with the “Honorary Medal of Gagauzian Land” and honoured with the “Title of Notable Person” at the II. World Gagauzians Conference by the President of Gagauzia, His Excellency Mihail Formuzal.
* December 2009, honoured with Golden Honour Medal by Gagauzia Autonomous Republic for his precious contributions to educational sector of Gagauzia Autonomous Republic.
* March 2010, awarded with “Outstanding Success” by the National Assembly of TRNC for his contributions and worldwidely renowned investments made for educational systems and health sectors of TRNC.
* October 2010, awarded for his contributions to Turkish speaking countries' culture and education with “Türksoy Golden Medal of Honour” in accordance with the decision taken at the conference of Organization of Common Directorate of International Turkish Culture and Arts by the Permanent Council of Ministers of Culture of Member Countries of TÜRKSOY (The International Organization of Turkic Culture).
* November 2010, appointed the “Plenary Ambassador of TRNC” through the common decision of the President Dr. Derviş Eroğlu and the National Assembly of TRNC.
* November 2010, awarded with the “Golden Honorary Plaquet” by the Centre of Islam, History, Art and Culture for his contributions to Islamic Conference Organization.
* February 2011, honoured with a “Medal of Commemoration” for 60th anniversary of invention of Avtomat Kalashnikova 47 (AK 47), one of the most important patents of 20th century, by the legendary designer of this gun, General Mihail Kalashnikov.
* July 2011, awarded with “Friendship Order”, the highest order of the state given to foreigners, by the President of Azerbaijan, His Excellency İlham Aliyev, for his outstanding contributions to develop the relations between TRNC and the Republic of Azerbaijan, and for his contributions to Azerbaijan Diaspora.
* On 7th November 2011, Dr. Suat İ. Günsel was awarded with the Honorary Medal in celebrations organized to commemorate the 20th anniversary of establishment of Autonomous Gagauzian Republic.
* On 1 December 2011, Dr. Suat İ. Günsel, the Founding Rector of NEU, conferred upon a honorary PhD in education upon the decision of Senate of Odlar Yurdu University of Azerbaijan.
From : www.wikipedia.org